Is Arduino still re...

Notifications
Clear all

Is Arduino still relevant in 2024?

12 Posts
5 Users
5 Reactions
Topic starter

Okay, so unlike 5-6 years ago, there are now so many new boards available in the market including ESP32 with its WIFI + BL functionality and rising popularity. I think a beginner may find using Arduino helpful in the beginning but for everyday practical projects and products, it's obsolete. 

What do you guys think?

3 Answers

Hi.

The concept of Arduino is indeed relevant in 2024. However the Arduino units are approaching their use by date. For instance,  the chip used in the UNO can be used on its own in a custom designed pcb to do 99% of the tasks a UNO can do but with a dramatic reduction in physical size. The same can be said for all Arduino units.

The UNO, NANO, MEGA etc are perfect as training aids and for those without the ability to produce pcbs but final products can be greatly reduced in size by using the ATMEL uController in custom pubs.

I was an advocate for the PIC chip series and indeed I still am but since discovering Arduino I have become a fan. As yet in Arduino I am still a beginner but I have 50 years experience in designing electronics. 

Cheers Jeff Monegal 

Amelia Amelia Topic starter 10/05/2024 5:10 am

@jeffmon I agree. However, I believe the popularity of Arduino is not just because of the hardware but mainly due to its user-friendly IDE. It supports all major boards now be it ESP32, blue pill, etc. And it has become a standard to give Arduino IDE support on new boards. Makes me think: they have taken away the basic Embedded level learning curve.

Jeffmon 10/05/2024 7:03 am

Hi guys
The popularity and ease of use of the IDE dose make it a very good learning tool. There are however several other platforms that are just as versatile. For instance the Microchip family do have excellent IDE and a big plus is the simulator/debugger. This alone makes the Microchip platform a brilliant piece of free software. Back to the Arduino, it will be around for a long while to come. I am not yet fluent in Arduino and the C language but I am working to change that.

Happy coding. It is the way of the future
Jeff Monegal

nathan 13/05/2024 6:14 am

@jeffmon For me it's quite the opposite. I have a decent command of Arduino but struggle with analog electronics. Sometimes I feel like starting from the very beginning- very very basic stuff.

Oh, I totally get where you're coming from, and you're making some valid points there. But like ESP32 boards which have WiFi and Bluetooth, some Arduino boards also offer these features. Now most of the Arduino boards don't have WiFi or BL but don't forget they are beginner-friendly, compatible with breadboards, versatile, and supported by a large community. While ESP32 may be better for some projects, starting with Arduino provides a solid foundation. Both have their strengths; the choice depends on your project's needs and your experience level.

Amelia Amelia Topic starter 10/05/2024 5:14 am

@nathan For beginners Yes, but for actual products they are bulky and not a cost-effective solution.

nathan 13/05/2024 6:11 am

Even ESP32 boards are not a cost-effective solution in this case. What you should be really using is a standalone microcontroller like ESP32-12E chip or Atmega chip.

Jeffmon 14/05/2024 12:53 am

Hi guys

"Not cost effective " is a relative term. Yes the Arduino units are bulky and relatively expensive but in some (many) cases they are the only way to go. Using a single chip to do what an Arduino unit can do first requires a PCB to be designed and often several will need to be done before the design is ready. Prototypes then need to be made and again many, then components need to be purchased along with the inevitable out of stock lines sometimes requiring a redesign all blow out to often quite large production costs. I know I did this many times.

These cases will then mean that a ready built, debugged and fully functional unit are way more cost effective than not using a arduino unit. The smaller the production run the more cost effective the Arduino units become. Again I know this from experience. I started CTOAN Electronics many years ago and I saw this more times than I care to count. Designing electronic systems is a fickle business with a lot of expensive pitfalls.

Anyway guys all the best.
Jeff Monegal

Did you even look at the new Arduino boards? Because if you had, you would not have this doubt!!

Jeffmon 14/05/2024 8:23 am

Not only have I looked at new arduino boards but I have looked at perfectly functional clones. Believe me when I say that the cost of developing a project from conception to completion will in some cases blow your mind.

As an example the total cost to develop a multi channel battery charger that I was recently involved in ran into over $23,000. The unit used a PIC Microcontroller and could charge 4 batteries of all construction types. 70% of this charge was in the 9 prototypes that were required. The PCB engineer and the software engineer put in many, many hours. Have you seen the dollars amount an engineer commands these days? My job was simple. I designed the power switching interface between the Microcontroller and the battery.

An Arduino MEGA would have made this task much cheaper but we are aligned with Microchip and are therefore forbidden to use the Arduino platform in commercial products.

It may seem silly not use the cheapest route to the end design but that is how it works in the electronics industry.

Best wishes
Jeff Monegal

Sebastian 01/07/2024 3:51 am

These scenarios involve selling the final product(thousands of items). But what if you only need 10, 20, or even just 50 copies for my personal use?

Share: