Differences Between...

Notifications
Clear all

Differences Between LM358 Temperature Sensor and Thermistor?

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
Topic starter

In my project, I need precise control over temperature monitoring. I am trying to choose between an LM358 temperature sensor and a thermistor. Specifically, I would like to understand the following:

1. What are the main differences between an LM358 temperature sensor and a thermistor?
  2. Which one is more accurate for temperature measurements?
  3. Considering ease of integration and reliability with an Arduino, which sensor would be recommended?

The accuracy and reliability of the temperature readings are crucial for the success of my project. Any insights or experiences you can share would be greatly appreciated!

1 Answer

Thermistors cost much less than the LM35 temperature sensor but require calibration due to their non-linear nature. At the same time, a thermistor is more accurate and precise(down to +/- 0.1°C) than an LM35(around +/- 0.5°C).

LM35: Very easy to integrate with Arduino. You can read the output voltage directly using an analog pin, and with simple conversion (multiply by 100 to convert from mV to °C), you get the temperature.

Thermistors: While they can be integrated, they often require additional components (like a resistor for a voltage divider) and more complex calculations to convert resistance to temperature. This can make them slightly more challenging to set up.

Main Differences

Feature LM35 Temperature Sensor Thermistor
Type Integrated circuit (analog voltage output) Resistor (typically NTC or PTC)
Output Outputs a linear voltage (10 mV/°C) Resistance changes non-linearly with temperature
Temperature Range Typically -55 to +150 °C Varies, but generally -40 to +125 °C
Accuracy Typically ±0.5 °C or better Can be very accurate, but depends on the type and calibration
Response Time Fast response time Generally fast but varies by design
Ease of Use Simple to interface with Arduino (analog input) Requires more complex calculations for linearization
Calibration Usually factory calibrated Often requires calibration and look-up tables for accuracy

For most projects requiring precise temperature monitoring with reliable readings and ease of integration with Arduino, the LM35 is likely the best option. However, if you need the highest accuracy and can manage the additional complexity, consider using a thermistor

P.S.: LM358 is an OP-AMP IC. LM35 is a temperature sensor.

Divyam Topic starter 13/07/2024 3:56 am

@jignesh I always get confused between LM35 and LM358! And what if I want to use multiple such sensor/thermistor. What's the best choice?

Share: